Thursday, November 10, 2011

Apple Cobbler

Back in 1992 we moved from Winterville to Wilson, NC so that Mike wouldn't have a 45 minute commute to work before the crack of dawn.  We had the most wonderful real estate agent helping us find a home.  Talk about service after the sale!  We moved into our  home in the summer and come Fall she brought several beautiful mums for me to put on my front steps.  Not long after that, she brought me the best apple cobbler I have ever had--she had made several for a church function and just thought I would like one--oh yeah!.  I called her and got the recipe and have used it all these years as a go-to, quick, yummy dessert for when I am in a hurry or when the family begs for this dish.  Sometimes I call this Apple Crisp, but Bea Newton--my realtor and friend--calls it a cobbler.  Whatever you call it, I call it scrumptious!  You will probably have everything on hand except maybe the apples.  Go out right now and buy some Fujis or Galas or Honeycrisps.  Just make this and enjoy!  And if you are ever in Wilson, run over to First Wilson Properties and say hey to Bea for me, if she hasn't retired or isn't on one of her many mission trips to a Third World country.  What a lady!



INGREDIENTS:
4 large apples, peeled and sliced
Cinnamon, to taste
Brown sugar, to taste
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 large egg
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, melted

1.  Preheat oven to 375.
2.  Spray a 9x13 (or square) pan with cooking spray.  Add the apples and sprinkle generously with cinnamon and brown sugar (I get pretty heavy-handed here).
3.  Combine sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl--this will be your crust.  Break the egg into this mixture and stir with a fork until crumbly.  Stir in nuts.
4.  Sprinkle crust mixture on top of apples.  Pour melted butter over crust.
5.  Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until lightly browned.

SOURCE:  Bea Newton, realtor extraordinaire!

No comments:

Post a Comment