Saturday, November 26, 2011

Creamy Italian Tomato Sauce

Here's another new recipe from the Worldwide Ward Cookbook that I reviewed here a little while back.  I'm not a big fan of red sauces, in general, so when I saw a creamy version I was very interested.  It's got a nice flavor and is a perfect replacement for marinara or spaghetti sauce.  It also made a LOT.  I served my family a generous portion of rotini pasta and still had two quarts to spare.  Those went straight to the freezer for future meals.  My next adventure with this sauce will be to try it on pizza in place of traditional pizza sauce!

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. dried basil
pinch of red pepper flakes
3 medium onions, chopped
1 tsp. minced garlic
dash salt
3 (29 ounce) cans tomato sauce
7 ounces Gouda cheese
1 pint heavy cream

1.  Heat olive oil and butter in large pot over medium to medium-high heat.  Add basil, red pepper flakes, onion, garlic, and salt and cook until onion is tender.
2.  Add tomato sauce and simmer over medium heat for at least 20 minutes.
3.  Cut Gouda cheese into chunks and add to sauce, stirring until melted.  Add heavy cream and remove from heat, stirring until well combined.
4.  Serve over pasta and top with grated Parmesan cheese.


Source:  adapted from Worldwide Ward Cookbook

4 comments:

  1. If this makes a LOT--at least 29oz x 3--do I need a stockpot for this recipe or will a soup pot do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I believe I used my largest regular pot, not my stockpots. But my stockpots are pretty big! Test it with water at 4 times the tomato sauce can size (to allow for cheese and cream) and if it holds that easily, you're good to go.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete