Sunday, November 13, 2011

Mormon Morsels: Don't Forget to Pray

found on Pinterest
A favorite pastime for me lately has been collecting inspiring and motivational quotes on Pinterest.  I like the ones that, when you read them for the first time, they just kinda getcha right in the heart.  This one got me good.

I do forget to pray.  I don't intentionally say no to prayer.  I just get so flustered and busy and task-driven that I forget the essentials sometimes.  Lately, more often than I'd care to admit.

This was a wake up call.  (Get it?  Wake up call?  Cuz it talks about God waking you up and stuff?)  I must seem like the most ungrateful daughter in the world to Him sometimes, constantly worried about what I don't have and not being mindful enough of what I do have.

But God didn't forget about me today.  He let me wake up to have another chance to make more out of myself than I did the day before.  The very least I can do is to thank him for yet another chance.

Prayer is often a struggle for me.  I don't know why, exactly.  I just know that other gospel things come easier to me than prayer.  But I have learned a lot from Elder David A. Bednar's General Conference talk entitled "Pray Always".  It's one of those talks you listen to and think "yep, I'll need to be hearing that one at least once a year."  His talks are always so methodical and easy to follow.  He outlined three things we can remember that will improve our daily prayer:
  1. Prayer becomes more meaningful as we counsel with the Lord in all our doings.
  2. Prayer becomes more meaningful as we express heartfelt gratitude.
  3. Prayer becomes more meaningful as we pray for others with real intent and a sincere heart.
Consult the Lord in all things, express gratitude, and pray for others.  A simple formula for more meaningful prayer.  But the first step for me is remembering to do it!!!

I'd be interested to hear what y'all do to help yourself remember to get on your knees.

1 comment:

  1. Meaningful prayer is important--something I need to work on. Some ideas for remembering to pray:
    1) a prayer rock on your pillow - if you hit your head on it before you go to sleep you'll know you forgot something! lol this is something from when I was in Primary, I think
    2) a penny in your shoe - this was from my seminary teacher. Each time you felt the penny in your shoe, you were supposed to remember Christ. It can be adapted for many things.

    ReplyDelete