Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Sausage Balls

I hope that no one is insulted by a simple sausage ball recipe, but I have given this out several times over the years. It's not the ingredients that are so important, but the preparation and cooking time make all the difference!

Ingredients:
3 cups baking mix (I use Jiffy because it's less expensive, but Bisquick works just as well)
3 cups sharp cheddar cheese
1 lb. sausage (I choose Bass Farms, hot)

1. Mix all ingredients by hand in a large bowl. You may want to allow the sausage to sit on the counter for about an hour before mixing. If find that if it is right out of the fridge, it's too cold and my hands cramp up.
2. Shape into balls. Like my meatballs, I make these fairly large. I use atleast 2 tablespoons of the mixed ingredients to make one sausage ball.
3. Place sausage balls on a cookie sheet and bake 15 minutes at 350 degrees.

*Keep an eye on them as they cook. They are done when starting to brown on top and the grease is bubbling at the edges. If overcooked, you lose a lot of the flavor.

**It doesn't matter the brand of sausage you use, just look for one with a higher fat content. If you are looking for a lower-fat version, you've come to the wrong place. It's an insult to sausage balls everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment