Friday, November 11, 2011

Semi-homemade Caramel Apples

I love caramel apples, like REALLY love them. I've never made them, but decided that this was the year. It was so easy and fun. It'll definitely become a yearly tradition in our home.

Ingredients Needed:
- Apples, make sure they are really cold. 
- Kraft Caramel bits (one bag per 5 apples)
- 2 Tbsp. milk per bag of caramels
- Popsicle sticks
- White chocolate chips (I used Nestles)
- Bittersweet chocolate chips (I used Nestles)
- 1 Tbsp. of Shortening per cup of melted chocolate
- Cinnamon sugar

In just a few steps, you  can have chocolate-shop worthy caramel apples.

First, CLEAN your apples. My apples came from the grocery store - which means tons of wax and who knows what chemicals.

 I use a fruit/veggie wash to rid my produce of the gunk that's on them at the store. I highly recommend this brand. I get it at Trader Joe's.  Nice scrub with this wash, and it's completely noticeable that a lot of the wax is washed away.

Once the apples are washed, make sure they become completely dry. Caramel will not stick to wet apples! While drying - stick them back in the fridge to make sure they are extra cold.

While the apples are drying empty the bag of caramels into a pot on the stove. Add 2 Tbs. of milk per bag of caramels. Cook on medium-low. Stir often. Do not allow your caramel to boil. (it'll take a while to melt)

Once the caramel is melted transfer to a smaller container. I used a glass 2-cup liquid measuring cup. Doing this will make it easier to get the caramel higher on the apple.

Once you have the craft sticks stuck in your apples... dip your apples! Shake off excess caramel, use a butter knife to scrape it off the bottom. You don't want too heavy of a coat. Transfer to either wax paper or a greased cookie sheet.

Let the caramel set.
 While the caramel is setting melt your chocolate (and shortening) in either a double boiler or in the microwave. I used the microwave. Cook it 30 seconds at a time, stir. Transfer white chocolate to a smaller container for dipping.

For an Apple Pie style caramel apple - dip the caramel apple in white chocolate, scrape of excess. Then while chocolate is still wet - shake cinnamon sugar on the chocolate.

For a Chocolate Lover's Apple, transfer white and bittersweet chocolate to plastic bags. Cut a TINY corner off and drizzle the chocolate over the apple.

Let the apples completely cool and set in the fridge. I allowed them to set overnight.

Then... most importantly.... ENJOY! These are great neighbor gifts. I wrapped each apple up in cellophane wrap and tied them with a ribbon. Make sure to chill them until you deliver or eat them.

And please.... use a knife to cut into them! Save your precious teeth!! I hope you enjoy them as much as I have!!

No comments:

Post a Comment