When I was a kid my mom used to make a version of these as an occasional treat for me. I make them now with just a couple of slight changes, but they are still just as tasty.
creamy peanut butter
1. Peel bananas, then slice in the middle to make 2 equal sections. Carefully insert a popsicle stick into the cut end of each banana half. Place on cookie sheet lined with wax paper and place in freezer for 30 minutes.
2. While bananas are freezing, melt peanut butter for about 15-20 seconds in a microwave-safe bowl. Add Nutella and stir well to combine; set aside. Pour wheat germ onto a small plate and set aside.
3. Remove bananas from freezer. "Frost" each banana with the PB/Nutella mixture. Roll the frosted banana gently in the wheat germ and place back on wax paper. Repeat with each banana pop. Return pops to freezer until ready to serve.
4. Remove from freezer for 10-15 minutes before eating (to allow bananas to soften a bit).
- Amounts: I end up using about 1 Tbsp. peanut butter, 1/2 Tbsp. Nutella, and 1/2 Tbsp. wheat germ per banana pop.
- You can use just peanut butter or just Nutella. You could also try different nut butters like almond or cashew.
- You can roll the frosted banana in nuts, coconut, sprinkles, anything you want.
- It may not necessarily be a "lite" recipe, but it's better for you than an ice cream binge!
Source: adapted from my mom