8 cups oats (we use old fashioned)
1 cup butter, melted
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup corn syrup or honey
2 tsp. salt
1 cup peanut butter
1. Mix all together in large bowl. Use your hands to evenly mix.
2. Press firmly into a large, greased cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees until the bars are golden brown and have begun to bubble a little.
At this point you can sprinkle chocolate, peanut butter, and/or vanilla chips across the top if you want to. Allow them to melt and then spread in a thin layer.
3. Cool completely and cut into bars.
Source: Melissa Coombs' cookbook, The Hows and Whys of the Year Supply (Chat N Chew Granola Bars)
- I doubled the original recipe in the amounts above, so you can easily half it if you need less bars.
- I like to wrap my bars in wax paper and tape closed.
|Enjoying a rest at the top of a very long, very steep hike!|