Monday, November 12, 2012

Fresh Apple Dump Cake

Have you ever tried a recipe from Pinterest only to be disappointed?  It's not bad but it's not, well, great.  This happened to me recently.  I saw this great recipe with only 3 ingredients and thought it sounded great.  Not so much.  But I was able to improve it a lot with the addition of a topping from another recipe in my collection.  The result?  A pretty darn good dessert.

Ingredients:
8 large apples (I used Gala and Granny Smith)
1 cake mix (I used white but yellow would have given more flavor I think)
1 stick of butter, melted
water
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 small tub Cool Whip

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Wash and core apples.  Cut into thin wedges about 1/4" thick.  Place evenly into a greased 9x13 inch baking dish.
2.  Evenly pour the cake mix over the apples.  Pour the melted butter on top of the cake mix, distributing it as evenly as possible.  Drizzle water by teaspoonfuls over any large dry patches.
3.  Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until apples are tender.  Cool completely.
4.  Mix together cream cheese, powdered sugar, and Cool Whip until smooth.  Spread evenly over top of the dessert.  Serve warm or cold.

Source:  it's a hybrid recipe created by me and inspired by recipes from my personal collection

1 comment:

  1. What kind of apples are best for an apple pie......I can never decide!

    ReplyDelete