Thursday, May 23, 2013

Homemade Fruit & Cream Instant Oatmeal


For several years now I have been saying that I wanted to make my own instant oatmeal packets. Years now.  And finally, thanks to our dear friend PINTEREST, I have found a recipe that I like and have tried it and have fulfilled a dream!  Yay me!  There are many variations to the basic recipe, but I chose the fruit and cream version.  I have a lot of fruit in my food storage that I want to use and this is a perfect way to do that.  I used peach this time, but next time I am trying mango.  Yeah, that fruit.







Ingredients:
3 cups quick-cooking oats
Salt
Small (snack-size) zip baggies
Non Dairy Creamer (I used the non-fat and it is delicious!)
Sugar
Dried or dehydrated fruit

1.  Put 1 cup oats in a food processor and process until powdery.  Set aside in a small bowl.
2.  Put the following in each baggie:  1/4 cup un-powdered oats, 2 T. powdered oats, 1/8 t. salt,
     1 T. creamer, 1 T. Sugar, 2 T. fruit.



3.  Store baggies in an air-tight container.
4.  To serve:  Empty packet into a bowl and add 3/4 cup boiling water.  Stir and let stand for
     2 minutes.  For thicker oatmeal, use less water--for thinner, use more water.



Source: Kaylin Cherry via Pinterest 

4 comments:

  1. Hello! Thanks for posting this! The main reason I'm interested in making my own fruit-and-cream oatmeal is for ethical reasons. (I believe that animal welfare is a very important issue.) And, none of the animal-welfare-friendly brands have come out with a fruit-and-cream flavored oatmeal yet. (I'm still waiting!) So, I want to make my own, but I can't seem to find a powdered coffee creamer that fits my standards. There is organic powdered nonfat milk, and there's also organic powdered whey. Do you think that either of these would work?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susie. I would think that the organic powdered nonfat milk would work just fine. If that is something that you already have, I would try it with just some regular oatmeal and see how you like the taste.

      Delete
    2. Hi again Susie. I accidentally deleted your most recent comment. But thank you for your response!

      Delete
  2. Its so Nutritious & sounds tasty too.
    Thanks for sharing:)

    Best
    Soy Yogurt-Yo MyGoodness

    ReplyDelete