A friend who was moving away :( brought this over when we invited her family over for dinner before they left. I have always wanted to make a tomato pie and this recipe is scrumptious. She got it HERE. As for the pie crust recipe, I tried a new one and that is why you see the funkiness in the photo. I decided to NOT give you a link to that one quite yet (although it tasted really good), until I have used it more than once. The link I have provided for the crust is my tried and true pie crust recipe.
Pastry for 1-crust 9 inch pie (see this RECIPE )
4 cups sliced firm ripe tomatoes
1 1/2 tsp. salt (okay, I typed this up before I actually made the pie--too much salt. Tweak it.)
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/4-1/2 tsp. dried leaf basil
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese (I used the grated)
1 large clove garlic, smashed and minced
1. Line pie plate with pastry. Flute the edges. Brush shell with evaporated milk.
2. Bake shell at 450 degrees for 5 minutes .
3. Fill the baked shell with sliced tomatoes and sprinkle with salt, pepper and basil.
4. Combine mayonnaise, Parmesan, and garlic; spread over the layered tomatoes.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes, or until tomatoes are cooked and pie is golden.