Thursday, November 21, 2013

Chef Todd's White Chili

My post is a tad late today, but it will be worth the wait.  I promise!  I saw this recipe being demonstrated on the website for Thrive.  Check it out if you are interested in a good food storage product.  Anyway, this recipe looked really yummy and it uses quite a few items from my food storage pantry.  I hope you enjoy the end results as much as I just did.  That's right.  I dared to post a recipe that I only just made this morning!  Livin' on the edge!

Ingredients (I am noting the brand name if I actually used THRIVE products):
1 cup small white Navy beans, uncooked
4 T. butter
5 T. white flour
1 T. butter
1 T. garlic
1 cup THRIVE Green Chili Peppers
1/2 cup THRIVE Red Bell Peppers
1/2 cup THRIVE Sweet Corn
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup THRIVE Celery
1 cup THRIVE Seasoned Chicken Slices
3 cups water
1 T. THRIVE Chicken Bouillon
2 cups THRIVE Instant Milk, reconstituted
2 cups heavy cream
1 t. chili powder
1 t. cumin
1 t. season salt
1 T. Cholula Hot Sauce
1 T. fresh lime juice
1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped

Here is what the freeze-dried foods look like before...


1.  Place the beans in a small saucepan with 4 cups of water and 1 tablespoon salt and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until just tender.  In a a small glass bowl, melt the 4 tablespoons of butter in the microwave.  Add the flour and mix well.  Reserve this roux mixture for later.

2.  In a 3-quart sauce or stock pot, melt the 1 tablespoon butter and add the garlic.  Sweat for a few minutes on low heat.  Add all the vegetables and the chicken to the pot; stir a few times and add the water and bouillon.  Bring to a simmer and add the milk and the cream.  Add all seasonings except cilantro and simmer for 10 minutes.  Add the roux to thicken the soup and cook at low simmer for another 5 minutes.  Drain the beans and add them to the soup.  Add the cilantro and stir well before serving. (You don't see the cilantro in the picture because girlfriend thought she had some in the freezer and did not.  I will get some on the way home from work and have with my chili later.)

Source:  Chef Todd, ThriveLife.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment