Thursday, February 27, 2014

Reuben Pigs in a Blanket

 
 
 
I needed to make Super Bowl food like I needed another hole in the head.  This wreaks havoc on trying to lose weight, but man, this stuff is yummy.  I got this recipe from Our Best Bites and it was a favorite at my house.  My husband said I hit a home run with the pairings this year.  Well, it wasn't in football terminology, but it was appreciated.  My grandsons even liked it--of course, they had to pull the pig out of the blanket.  Purists...
 
Do you see that square-ish little part of a sandwich in the bottom right corner?  Yeah, that one.  Future post.  Stay tuned!

Ingredients:
8 all-beef hot dogs (Oscar Mayer has some great choices here)
2 cans refrigerated crescent roll dough
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1 cup sauerkraut, well-drained (about a 15-oz. can--I used the Bavarian style with the caraway seeds)
1 large egg, lightly beaten


1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
 
2.  Cut the hot dogs in half, cross-wise. 

3.  Divide the crescent rolls at the perforations.

4.  On the wide end (opposite of the pointy end) of the crescent roll dough, place 1 tablespoon drained sauerkraut, 1 tablespoon of the Swiss cheese, and a hot dog half.  Roll it up, being careful to tuck in the edges to hold things in.  Place on lined baking sheet; repeat with the rest of the dough.

5.  Brush the beaten egg over the tops of each "pig" and bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown.

6.  Makes 16 wrapped up piggies.

7.  I served these with Thousand Island Dressing and Spicy Brown mustard for dipping. OBB also suggests Creole mustard.



Source:  www.ourbestbites.com

No comments:

Post a Comment