Thursday, May 15, 2014

Grilled Mushrooms and Leeks


So I have been wanting to cook with leeks lately. I like expanding my knowledge and cooking repertoire. A few years ago, it was re-discovering fresh beets. I never liked the canned ones as a kid and thought I wouldn't like them fresh. Boy was I wrong. Next it was brussel sprouts. They get a bad wrap and now they are one of my favorite veggies. I had always wanted to try using leeks and finally bought some. I consulted pinterest and found a simple recipe with mushrooms and leeks. It's from Martha Stewart. Link, here. Rather than using a wok, I just used a saute pan and instead of tossing the veggies with the oil, I just put the oil directly in the pan, then the veggies and then seasoned them.

 
Ingredients: 
2 leeks, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces 
1 1/2 pounds button mushrooms (I used cremini), cut in half or quarter.
2 tablespoons olive oil 
Salt and pepper 
1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese (I didn't use the cheese and loved them without it.)
 
1. Quarter 2 trimmed leeks lengthwise; cut into 2-inch pieces (I used 3 leeks and cut them in half and then into about 1 inch pieces.)
2. Heat a wok or a saute pan over med. high heat.  Pour 1 tablespoon olive oil in pan, then add the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until tender, 10 minutes. Remove from pan.
3. Pour another Tbsp oil in pan. Add leeks and salt and pepper to taste. Cook, tossing, until lightly charred, 15 to 25 minutes. Put mushrooms back in pan and toss to combine. Dust with 1 tablespoon Parmesan, if desired. 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I have to agree on the beets....ick! I love leeks. If you want another recipe using leeks, try this one:
    http://mormonmavens.blogspot.com/2011/11/spring-green-risotto.html
    It's the first recipe I ever used with leeks. Looking forward to trying your recipe--I love leeks AND mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julie! I love risotto and I look forward to trying your recipe.

    ReplyDelete