Thursday, August 14, 2014

Fresh Peach Preserves


I don't can often, but when I do.......I love to make these Fresh Peach Preserves.  So good.  And really easy.  I got this recipe back in maybe 1994 from a good friend who shared it with me when I had a 1/2 bushel box of peaches and needed to do something with them--like right then.  Since then, if I ever have the good fortune to have some totally sweet awesome peaches in bulk, this is my go-to recipe. I don't even bother freezing any.


Ingredients:
5 cups well mashed peaches
1 cup crushed pineapple (with juice)
10-15 chopped Maraschino cherries
1 tsp. Fruit Fresh
2 pkgs. Sure-Gel
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 t. butter
5 cups sugar

1.  Combine first 6 ingredients in a large saucepan.  Add the butter and bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly.

2.  Add sugar quickly.  Return to full boil and boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.

3.  Immediately fill CLEAN jars and put lids and rings on.  Hand-tighten rings.*

4.  Invert jars for 5 minutes, then return to normal position.

5.  Have fun hearing the lids POP as they seal at random moments.

6.  Give out to your "framily". Keep some for yourself.


YIELD--about 10 1/2-pint jars. 




Source:  Pat Sorenson via Tonya Shepherd Sorenson.


*  If you have never canned  before, be sure to check out instructions on Google or go to the Ball Canning website for tutorials.

No comments:

Post a Comment