Monday, October 27, 2014

Cauliflower Pizza Crust

One of the things I have a hard time resisting is pizza.  Even when I'm not trying to eat wheat- and dairy-free, pizza is a huge temptation.  I just love it.  But it doesn't love me.  I didn't think there would be an alternative that I would enjoy.

I've seen pics for this crust all over Pinterest but never really had the gumption to try it until now.  While it doesn't rival Domino's or Pizza Hut or Whatever-Your-Favorite-Pizza-Place-Is, it's good enough that I will be making it again.  And that's sayin' somethin'.

Ingredients:
2 cups shredded cauliflower
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup mozzarella Veggie Shreds
1 tsp. dry oregano
1/2 tsp. finely minced garlic
1/2 tsp. onion salt

1.  Remove leaves from cauliflower and cut head into pieces.  In a food processor with a grater blade, process the cauliflower.
2.  Place 2 cups of cauliflower in a microwave-safe bowl and cook on full power for 5 minutes.
3.  Cool to room temp.  Add remaining ingredients and stir until combined.
4.  Grease a cookie sheet or pizza pan.  Form pizza crust into desired shape.
5.  Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.  Remove from oven and top with desired toppings.  Return pizza to oven for a few minutes, or broil to melt additional cheese.

Notes:

  • The head of cauliflower I used yielded about 3 1/3 cups of shredded.  
  • You can use regular cheese, but I'm trying to go dairy-free so I used a cheese substitute.  If you want to give it a try, you can find it in the produce section at the grocery store.
  • I didn't add extra cheese since there is some in the crust already.  I just topped with a bit of pizza sauce and some pepperoni.  If you are adding veggies, you may want to saute them a bit first since they won't spend long in the oven.
Makes 6 pieces of pizza crust

No comments:

Post a Comment