1 stick (1/2 cup) Land O' Lakes European Style Super Premium Butter, or just regular butter
2 cups trimmed and halved Brussels Sprouts (about half pound--I found these bagged and ready
1 whole medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup Arborio Rice
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth, warmed (more if needed)
salt and pepper to taste
2 t. fresh thyme leaves (or you can adjust and use dried)
Parmesan cheese for serving
1. Heat a large, high-sided skillet (nonstick is best) over medium-low heat. Add butter and allow to melt completely. Continue letting it heat to a very gentle bubble--swirling the pan to keep it from burning--until butter starts to brown. There will be golden solids in the bottom of the pan and the liquid will be deep golden brown. Pour half the browned butter into a heatproof bowl and set aside.
2. Add the Brussels sprouts to the pan and increase heat to medium. Saute, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until slightly tender. Remove from pan and set aside.
3. Add the onion , garlic, and 1 T. of the browned butter to the skillet and stir, cooking for 3-4 minutes, until translucent and golden.
4. Add the rice and stir for 1 minute. Add 1 cup of the warm broth, stirring while it absorbs. Continue adding the warm broth a cup at a time, stirring after each addition until the broth is absorbed, about 20-25 minutes. Test for tenderness and add more broth if necessary.
5. When the rice is tender but still has a slight al dente bite to it, stir in Brussels sprouts, thyme, salt, pepper, and the remaining browned butter.
6. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve.