Thursday, May 5, 2016

Oriental Chicken Salad with Crunchy Noodles


Ramen!  I don't think they had this when I was a poor college student, but it sure has become popular over the years.  My first experience with it was in a delicious salad a friend shared at a church dinner.  I was mesmerized and asked for the recipe.  Which I could not find this week, so I googled and found this recipe.  It's a little different than my friend's but it's a variation on the same theme.  I made some changes to this recipe and it proved to be delish!


Ingredients for Salad:

2-3 cups chopped cooked chicken breasts (I used Thrive chicken, rehydrated)
1 head of cabbage, shredded or chopped (I opted for Broccoli slaw, 2 12-oz. pkgs.)
1 bunch green onion, finely chopped (Thrive chopped green onion, rehydrated)
2 2.5-oz. pkgs. slivered almonds
3 T. sunflower seeds, shelled of course
1 can Mandarin oranges, drained well
2 pkgs. Ramen noodles
3 T. vegetable oil

Dressing:

3/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
4 1/2 T. seasoned rice vinegar
4 1/2 T. sugar
2 t. salt
1 t. pepper

1.  Prepare dressing and set aside.
2.  Smash Ramen noodles, removing seasoning packets (save to flavor something else sometime) and brown over medium heat in 3 T. oil--I used olive oil here because I used all of my canola oil in the dressing.
3.  Once noodles are slightly browned, add the almonds. Brown until noodles are a medium golden brown.  Remove from heat and set aside.
4.  Combine cabbage, green onions, chicken and sunflower seeds in a large bowl.
5.  Add Ramen/almond mixture and stir well.
6.  Add dressing and stir to coat.


No comments:

Post a Comment